December 29, 2022: Russia fires missiles on Ukraine, Buffalo storm, Netanyahu, China, George Santos
December 29, 2022: Russia fires barrage of missiles, Buffalo blizzard thaw, Netanyahu, China COVID, George Santos probe
1. Russia fired scores of missiles into Ukraine early, targeting the capital Kyiv and other cities including Lviv and Odesa in the west, in one of its largest aerial bombardments that sent people rushing to shelters and knocked out power.
2. National Guard troops trudged door-to-door looking for winter storm victims who may be unaccounted for in parts of Buffalo hit by prolonged power outages, after a deadly Christmas blizzard that buried New York’s second-largest city in blinding snow.
3. Benjamin Netanyahu sealed a comeback as Israeli prime minister as his hard-right cabinet was being sworn in with promises to expand Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank and to pursue other policies criticised at home and abroad.
4. China’s thinly resourced countryside is racing to beef up medical facilities before millions of factory workers return home for the Lunar New Year holiday next month from cities where COVID is surging.
5. A New York prosecutor’s office said it was investigating the conduct of George Santos, a Republican who fabricated much of his resume and life story ahead of his November election to the U.S. House of Representatives.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en