July 6, 2023: Yellen visits China, Meta launches Threads to rival Twitter, Trump, Cocaine, China
July 6, 2023: Yellen kicks off China, Meta launches Threads, Trump’s fundraising nearly doubles, Cocaine at White House, China heat
1. U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen arrived in the Chinese capital on Thursday, beginning a four-day visit expected to focus on easing ties between the world’s two largest economies, despite low expectations on both sides.
2. Meta Platforms launched a direct challenge to Twitter with Threads, garnering millions of users in hours as it sought to take advantage of its rival’s much-weakened state after a series of chaotic decisions from owner Elon Musk.
3. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s main fundraising committee raised more than $35 million during the April-June period, a campaign official said, nearly twice what the group gathered in the prior three months.
4. Cocaine discovered in the White House was found in a cubby hole in a West Wing entry area where visitors place electronics and other belongings before going on tours, a source familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.
5. Chinese weather forecasters issued a string of heat advisories across northern parts of the country as temperatures were expected to breach 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) in some areas, stressing taxed power grids.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: https://www.reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en