September 22, 2022: Russia ramps up troops, Dems push policing bills, Iran, Trump, Ginni Thomas
September 22, 2022: Russia begins massive war call-up, Democrats push policing bills, Mahsa Amini, Trump criminal probe, Ginni Thomas
1. Some draft-age Russians headed abroad to escape their country’s biggest conscription drive since World War Two, while explosions shook southeastern Ukraine on the eve of referendums planned there by pro-Moscow separatists.
2. Democrats, accused by Republicans of being soft on crime, hope to burnish their crime-fighting credentials before the Nov. 8 midterm elections with a vote on a major policing bill in the U.S. House of Representatives.
3. Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guards called on the Islamic Republic’s judiciary to prosecute “those who spread false news and rumours” about Mahsa Amini, a young woman, whose death in police custody has triggered nationwide protests.
4. The U.S. Justice Department can resume reviewing classified records seized by the FBI from former President Donald Trump’s Florida home pending appeal, a federal appellate court ruled on Wednesday, giving a boost to the criminal investigation into whether the records were mishandled or compromised.
5. The U.S. congressional panel probing the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol reached an agreement to interview Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, in the coming weeks, her lawyeR told Reuters.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en