September 27, 2022: Hurricane Ian, Russian gas pipelines, Oath Keepers, Abe funeral, Ukraine
September 27, 2022: Hurricane Ian makes landfall, Mystery leaks, Oath Keepers trial, Abe funeral, Ukraine
1. Hurricane Ian slammed into western Cuba, forcing evacuations, cutting power to hundreds of thousands of people and swamping fishing villages as it tracked northward toward Florida, where residents anxiously await the sprawling storm.
2. Europe was racing to investigate possible sabotage behind sudden and unexplained leaks in two Russian gas pipelines under the Baltic Sea, infrastructure at the heart of an energy crisis since Russia invaded Ukraine.
3. The trial of Stewart Rhodes, the founder of the far-right Oath Keepers militia, and four others begins in what will be the most high-profile case so far in the Justice Department’s investigation into the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
4. With flowers, prayers and a 19-gun salute, Japan honoured slain former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the first state funeral for a former premier in 55 years – a ceremony that has become as controversial as he was in life.
5. An ally of President Vladimir Putin issued a stark new nuclear warning to Ukraine and the West as referendums billed by Russia as a prelude to it annexing four Ukrainian regions entered their fifth and final day.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en